Sunday, October 24, 2004

Lover of the Romantics

During my previous studies, I had the privilege of encountering the Romantic poets, and have really found a preference there. Unfortunately, at this point, I am unable to describe what exactly it is that draws me to this era, but I certainly hope to pinpoint it through this course. One of my favourite poets thusfar is William Blake, and I thought that I'd share one of his poems with you so that hopefully you can gain an appreciation for the Romantics as well... either way, I'd love to hear a response on what others think of this poem!

A Poison Tree- William Blake (p 680)

I was angry with my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.

And I waterd it in fears,
Night & morning with my tears;
And I sunned it with smiles,
And with soft decietful wiles.

And into my garden stole,
When the night had veild the pole;
In the morning glad I see
My foe outstretchd beneath the tree.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home