Sunday, October 24, 2004

Wow- don't read this if you're sad....

One thing this course has really done for me is to allow me to self-reflect on my writing previous to this course. I have really gone through up and down periods in my writing, times when I haven't written at all, and others where my pen barely leaves the page. I came across this piece of writing that's dated February 26, 2001, and although I found it very dark and disturbing, it really hit me hard. It's fairly obvious, (or at least I think it is) that I was going through a very difficult time when I wrote this, and I'd love to get some feedback as to how this affects others.

Thanks!

(Untitled)

Death, destruction, disaster.
Youth lost, life cut short
Grief, disbelief, anger and resentment.
Failure to save- to aid
A stranger, a son, a bestfriend, a nefew?
Fallen in the dirt and gravel,
Amongst the insects and grass,
To belong underneath,
Soon and forever.
Do flowers say goodbye?
Does a strecher heal wounds?
A lifetime is broken in a second
Wonder if he feels what I feel-
if he can feel at all.
Pain brings shock,
Shock brings silence.
Death has silenced him once and for all.
Torn, twisted, tight.

1 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said...

Dana,
What I found striking about this poem wasn't exactly the images it portrayed, but the overall impression it left. I suppose however, that the images had a great deal to do with it, but if I were to not read the poem again, I couldn't truly tell you what images I remember reading. This isn't bad of course because your poem, (and most poetry should do this!) left an impression upon me. That impression was that there is an insecurity in death; of not knowing what happens after we die, and if we will be alright. Humans are so "stuck" on death and "what if's" about it that we forget that it is inevitable. We cannot (or shouldn't?) question what happens after, for we don't truly know. I suppose I'm not getting out what I wish to truly say here. What I am trying to say is that death is inevitable, but we spend so much time pre-occupied with what comes after, that we forget about today. So, I felt that your poem addressed this "fear" of not knowing and within that impression, your poem was born.
That was my take though. I know it had to do with actual events, per se, but I was seeing beneath that.

November 24, 2004 at 8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home